17 December 2008

Setting up a home office *cough*stamp room*cough* part 1

If you have been reading my blog over the last few months you will know that we are in the middle of renovating our house. We have FINALLY (after 4 1/2 months of sleeping on the loungeroom floor) finished our bedroom as far as we are able to take it at this stage.
Here is the final product, not huge but after not having a bedroom I really do appreciate it. Do you recognise the feature wall colour?
I took in a scrap of Almost Amethyst Cardstock to the paint shop and asked them to colour match it. I then got a 1/4 tint for the other walls, 1/2 tint for the trim and about a 1/32 tint for the ceiling. The big white patch next to Justin is actually the door, we haven't painted it yet as we aren't sure what colour we will want to paint the hallway and I don't what to repaint something that doesn't need repainting so for the time being it is only undercoated. My brother in law will also be around sometime (hopefully) soon to finish the doorjamb so we can put the door handle on.
So now that our bedroom furniture is in our bedroom and not in the Stamp Room (or the office as Justin is under the impression it is called) it is time to organise ourselves in there and set up my desk so Justin can have his back and his computer is off the coffee table.
We were hoping that we would be able to do it up straight away but for the sake of my sanity as well as financial reasons (ie termite treatment is damn expensive! - even when you catch it before they have done structural damage) we have decided to leave it for another 6 months or so, meaning that we need to make our house look more like a home than a storage unit.
~~~
Sooo... since I may not get as much stamping done over the next few weeks as I was hoping to, I thought I would take the opportunity to review some of the space saving & storage solutions that I come up with along the way.
The first one I thought I would share with you isn't strictly stamping related but the more space you save with the boring stuff means the more space you have to store stamps ;o) anyway these are great little Stackable drawers by Oates. I got mine from Big W for around $16 each.They are designed to hold DVD's or CD's, however we will be using it to store software CD's & DVD's because I hate how you have to keep them handy in case you ever have to reinstall the software but they aren't something you need to access on a daily basis.
These will be going on a shelf in the wardrobe so we can stack other things around them but we don't have to go digging through boxes when we need to reinstall a program, instead we will just slide out a drawer and they will be sitting there spine up so we can easily grab what we need. They come with little dividers so that if it's not full they won't slide all over the place.
I will be buying another one to go in the bottom cupboard of the entertainment unit as it would be a better way of storing our console games (a nintendo DS or PS1 game will fit perfectly instead of CD's and other game types will fit as DVD's) so they don't fall over every time you even look at the stack of games in there...
PS If you are looking for a great way to store ribbon these fit a large ribbon spool easily and depending on the thickness of the ribbon you could probably get about 11-15 spools per drawer




No comments: